Friday, September 4, 2009

One week down!

I've made it one week in Busan! I'm managing well and learning LOTS!!! I adore my students and am looking forward to this year of teaching! I have a looooong post in the works about my school, students and co-teachers.

Tonight, I'm going to Haundae Beach with my EPIK buddies. We all have MANY stories from our first week of teaching and need to get together to catch up and exchange crazy happenings.

I'll leave you with this funny story...
Karen has been staying at my apartment. She saw a roach at her place and is petrified. She is from Toronto and insists she's never seen roaches as large as the Korean roaches. I admit, they may rival MS roaches, but I'm not traumatized by them like she is. The night she discovered her roach, we had been visiting with friends and we parted ways in the alley between our apartments. I managed to make it back to my place and had just poured myself a glass of water when I heard someone banging on my door. I opened the door to find Karen almost in tears, with her bags packed. She told me she ran the entire way to my apartment, because she was so afraid of the roach she had spotted. We went to the corner store and began performing charades, doing sign language, drawing, pointing to korean words in our phrase books, etc. to get them to help us find roach spray. It was quite a sight. The very friendly clerk finally showed us what we were looking for and we went back to Karen's place armed!!! The roach was still there... lurking by the window... waiting to attack. Karen wouldn't come inside. I immediately went into "mommy mode" and charged the roach with the VERY potent roach spray. It died. Karen was still disturbed, so she has been staying at my place. We've decided to get her over her fear, we will have a group slumber party and cram as many EPIK people as possible in her apartment tonight. (For reference- The apartments here are smaller than NYC apartments) It's going to be an interesting night. I'll let you know how it goes. ha.

Will post more when I'm near a computer!

Thanks for the comments and emails! Hearing from everyone makes home seem less far.

I love and miss you all...

5 comments:

  1. What a brave girl you are!!! I'm so proud of you for "saving" your friend from the roach. Mississippi girls are well-trained for sure. Keep up the good work, daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. smaller than NYC apartments? I didn't think that was possible. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, just for the record: if the only thing you learn this whole year is to hunt and kill roaches, it'll be a year well-spent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, I seem to recall you trapping a roach under a glass and leaving it to die. I'm impressed with your new roach acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I commented on this a while back, but it's not on here! I don't remember what I said, but rest assure, it was witty and made you smile. No doubt.

    Love you CAT!

    ReplyDelete